Teach For America is the national corps of outstanding recent college graduates and professionals of all academic majors and career interests who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools and become leaders in the effort to expand educational opportunity.
Teach For America has a mission to build the movement to eliminate educational inequity by enlisting our nation's most promising future leaders in the effort.
In the short run, Teach For America corps members work relentlessly to ensure that more students growing up today in our country's lowest-income communities are given the educational opportunities they deserve. In the long run, their alumni are a powerful force of leaders working from inside education and from every other sector to effect the fundamental changes needed to ensure that all children have an equal chance in life.
Since 2007, 202 Fellows have impacted Teach For America’s operations and reach. Fellows have both completed independent projects and also built off the work of their EP predecessors. They have:
- Refined organization-wide financial processes and created new systems trainings to ensure that new staff members are onboarded and that TFA’s structures are aligned with their ambitious growth goals.
- Led the development of a five-year communications strategy for the DC region, including historical impact analysis, so that the region is able to best market its story and gain the support it needs to grow.
- Launched a development campaign calendar and new donor fundraising best practices in Houston to ensure the region has the infrastructure in place to meet their annual fundraising budget of $11 million.
- Proposed and operationalized “networks of excellence” in Los Angeles neighborhoods, tying together strong community partnerships and schools with deep corps member presence so that local students can learn in TFA classrooms throughout their K-12 experience.
- Strengthened new teacher development plans by investigating and improving Chicago corps members’ preparation for state certification exams, creating a pathway for all corps members to become certified to teach.
- And more.