KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, public charter schools with a track record of preparing students for success. KIPP’s mission is to create respected and influential schools that help students from educationally underserved communities develop the knowledge, skills, character, and habits they need to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond.
KIPP formed in 1994 and soon opened its first two schools in Houston and New York City. After receiving recognition for the academic performance in these schools, KIPP began expanding rapidly in 2000. Today the organization serves nearly 80,000 students in 200 schools in 20 states and Washington, DC. More than 88% of its students are from low-income families and 96% are African American or Latino.
Student performance continues to show KIPP’s strength in producing academically prepared graduates. 93% of KIPP middle school students graduate high school nationally, and more than 82% of KIPP alumni go on to college.
Education Pioneers have supported KIPP operations across the country, in both schools and the KIPP Foundation. Our talent has:
- Analyzed financial data for KIPP Bay Area schools, identifying high-impact areas where KIPP could increase efficiencies and reduce per-pupil costs to improve their financial sustainability.
- Managed execution of KIPP DC's school-year growth plan, including new employee onboarding and real estate planning, to ensure that faculty and staff across 12-schools were best prepared to serve their students.
- Developed expansion criteria for KIPP Delta Schools as they consider moving to new areas, providing strategic guidance to executives as they make growth decisions.
- Oversaw Team Charter School's Extended School Year program in Newark, leading teachers, volunteers, and intersn to provide extra support to at-risk students during the summer.
- Built a school improvement toolkit for KIPP Houston schools, analyzing data and providing recommendations to increase quality teaching and impact student learning.
- And more.