Diverse leadership teams bring tremendous value across organizations and industries. However, there is much work to be done when it comes to education organizations’ abilities to attract, develop, and retain leaders of color.
Koya Leadership Partners and Education Pioneers developed From Intention to Action: Building Diverse, Inclusive Teams in Education to Deepen Impact to help translate these well-intentioned beliefs about the importance of diversity into actionable practices.
- Download the Full Report >>
- Download the Organizational Audit Checklist >>
- Download the Infographic >>
- Read the Press Release >>
The Pathway to More Diverse Leadership
To move from discussion to action, the report provides a road map with specific practices and recommendations for education organizations to build and sustain more racially diverse teams, including:
- Customize your vision and strategy. Defining diversity and why it matters establishes the foundation for building more racially diverse team.
- Focus on impact and metrics. Organizations that track performance metrics can strategically deploy resources and continue or halt initiatives based on what the data says about their effectiveness.
- Focus on recruiting and selection practices. There are a number of steps organizations can take to quickly strengthen performance and outcomes in their recruiting and selection processes.
- Invest in leadership development to retain high performers. Leadership development is vital to ensuring that all team members, particularly employees of color, remain engaged and advance in their careers.
- Ensure ongoing discussion. Best practice organizations regularly engage in meaningful dialogue at different levels, from one-on-one talks to company-wide discussions about diversity and what it means to the organization, why it is important, and what the organization is doing to achieve it.
Tackling the challenges of building diverse teams takes dedication, commitment, and perseverance. From Intention to Action: Building Diverse, Inclusive Teams in Education to Deepen Impact guides education organizations and others to move beyond discussion and intention and take meaningful action.
Chalkbeat Indiana: “Diversity of education nonprofit leaders, boards lag behind students”
Chalkbeat Tennessee: “Study: Education nonprofits, boards lag behind student population in diversity”
RealClearEducation: “From Intention to Action”
Stanford Social Innovation Review:"Five Ways to Build Diverse, Inclusive Leadership Teams" (Post by Koya Leadership Partners Managing Director Molly Brennan)
The Huffington Post: "From Intention to Action: Five Ways to Build Diverse Leadership Teams" (Post by EP Founder & CEO Scott Morgan)